Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Screencasts



Image result for screencasts

A screencast is a digital video recording that captures actions taking place on a computer screen accompanied with audio narration.  My first experience with screencasts was through my MLS courses. I can say they were very helpful in explaining what was required for our coursework. I was able to explore and create two screencasts using Screencast-o-matic and Jing. I tried Screenr, but the site said it was no longer available. Here are my findings for Jing and Screencast-O-Matic.


Jing


Creating a Jing account is free, but you do have to download it to your computer. I liked that it appears on your computer screen as a little "semi-sun" on the top center of your desktop that is readily available for immediate use. Upon opening the site, it offers a tutorial on ways to do different things like how to capture an image or video, how to share a screencast, and so many other individualized tutorials for selected topics. I liked that you are able to pause as you're recording, but I did not like that you are only given five minutes to record. Even though I was able to pause during the recording, I found myself running out of time. I had to do several takes, but I had fun in the process. In addition, I tried uploading the screencast using Google Chrome and Firefox, but I was having issues with Flash Player, and was only able to link it. 

The beginning of every year we have parents that have questions on how to go about the process of signing up and logging in. Here, parents can view their child's progress, attendance, and are able to receive notifications when grades fall below a certain range. I decided to I create a screencast to show parents how to request an account, and how to login after they've set up to the Parent Portal. I know when I've had parent conferences, I've shown parents how to do this, or our secretaries have scheduled appointments to assist them as well. This will be great to upload to the school's website so that parents can create their logins on their time.  






Screencast-o-matic

To sign up for Screencast-o-matic, all you have to do is use an email and create your password.  It was very easy to use, and also offers a quick demo tutorial that explains the process very clearly. Right above the tutorial, you have the "start recording" tab. After clicking on this, you are taken another tab that says "record screencast." Next, you are ready to size the screen the way you want it, and you're ready to start recording.  As a first time user, I had no problems creating my screencast. I really liked the fact that I had no time limit pressures. In addition, you can pause during your recording, just in case some of your content takes time to upload as some parts of mine did. Overall, it was easy as well.


For my second screencast, I decided to create one for my students on using Google Slides. They are already submitting assignments on Google Classroom via Google Docs, so this is the next assignment I'm going to have them do in the next couple of weeks using the novel we are reading. It was really easy to upload on my blog, and I just uploaded it on my Google Drive for my students. Can't wait to try it with them! Today, I met with the high school librarian I'm interning with, and I watched her do a staff development on various services offered through her library. After her session, I told her about Screencast-o-matic and offered to help make a few for her web page. She was really excited because she has never done one, and is eager to learn.









There is so much you can do with Screencasts, and both programs I explored had something great to offer. As a future librarian, I can definitely see myself using screencasts as a way to create trainings for students, staff, and the community as well. As far as which one I prefer, I'd have to go with Screencat -O-Matic because the recording time is not as limited, and the ease of uploading the screencast video was quick. I have to admit, I was skeptical at first, but after creating two of them I feel I can only get better as I create more.




Image retrieved from:
https://www.google.com/search?q=screencasts&espv=2&biw=1920&bih=971&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAmoVChMI7uWWxOaEyQIVBhc-Ch32qgWS

7 comments:

  1. Great idea to demo the parent portal. I sometimes have parents who can't find my page. This would be very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the way you used screen casts to promote your library. I did the same thing guiding students to my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed how you included the definition of what a screencast actually is. I agree that I had some trouble creating a screencast at first. However, with some practice I believe it will become an easier process.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great use of Jing! Parents will like this, I think. You explained things very well. Your assessment of the different uses for screencasts was also helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your parent portal screencast will be very valuable. I think many parents do not know how to access grades. Perfect idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Agreed, I like that you were descriptive with the parent portal! It helped me out as I moved my child to another district and had to start all over again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job! I enjoyed that you did one screencast for parents and a different one for students. You were able to highlight that screencasts can be used for students as well as parents.

    ReplyDelete