Sunday, November 29, 2015

Pew Report: U.S. Smartphone Use in 2015

After searching through Pew Research Reports, I came across one that caught my attention: U.S. Smartphone Use in 2015 by senior researcher, Aaron Smith.  In today’s technology age, it seems that everywhere we turn, someone is glued to their phone, myself included. According to the report, “Today, people increasingly are accessing online services and information throughout the day, whenever and wherever they happen to be — and smartphones are often the primary vehicle for this “on the go” access” (12). This report documents the continued growth of the number of Americans with smartphones. Smartphones have become one of the most sought out technology tools of our ages that provide us with the ability to stay connected by being able to access, share information, and communicate with others in our world. Smith also includes the demographics of smartphone users, and demonstrates how smartphone owners use their devices on a day-to-day basis.  

After reading Smith's Pew Report, I found that I fit into many of the categories noted in my Picktochart. I never really thought of as smartphones having an “emotional impact” on users. Smith states, “When it comes to the emotions that people experience as a result of their smartphones, “productive” and “happy” lead the way — 79% and 77% of smartphone owners, respectively, indicated that their phone made them feel this way at least once over the course of the study period” (41). On the other hand, 36% reported feeling frustrated, while just 15% reported feeling angry. I can say I feel more on the “productive” and “happy” side with my smartphone. As a matter of fact, I’ve been very pleased with my iPhone, that I just upgraded it this past week! Smartphones are here to stay.

Smith, A. (2015). U.S. Smartphone Use in 2015. Retrieved from Pew Research Center website:
http://www.pewinternet.org/files/2015/03/PI_Smartphones_0401151.pdf


59 pages 

For my first Pew Report, I created an Infographic using Infogram. This time I tried using Picktochart. They are both easy to use, and offer a variety of free templates. Here’s a Picktochart of my findings on: "U.S. Smartphone Use in 2015": 





2 comments:

  1. I just posted an article via Twitter about distractions. In it, the author said many employees on computers at work deal with emails for 6 hours of their days (these people are obviously not teachers!). Smartphone use needs to get to where it's manageable. Right now it doesn't seem like it is~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol true.- not teachers. Interesting article! Made me reflect on the time I spend online. I don't think I'm not as bad as Mr. Shwartz though, but I do get those "urges" to check my phone. Since I just recently changed my phone, I have not added my work e-mail to my phone, I have to say, it's been nice. No, the internet is not going away, but I agree with his goal,"to find the best possible balance with time online and time off line...and be more intentional... do more productive or relaxing things."

      Delete