Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Instagram and Vine

Instagram

Instagram is a popular photo sharing app for smartphones. Why not just post your photos on Facebook or another social network? Instagram’s main purpose is sharing photos and or videos with friends. Instead of having extra features other sites have, it offers users the option to filter a photo using different effects, such as contrast or saturation. In addition, you are able to link to other networking platforms such as Twitter, Tumblr, and Facebook. I had not used Instagram, but my siblings and my boys have an account. They were excited to learn I finally created one. 

I will definitely be creating an account just for the library. My goal will be to promote and highlight current events such as book fairs, sharing kids’ successes, quotes, new book arrivals, and book reviews. Teachers can use it to highlight activities and/or projects in their classroom. The possibilities are endless.


The bulletin below highlights the reading club I sponsor. 


A photo posted by @snd_rios on
A photo posted by @snd_rios on
A photo posted by @snd_rios on
A photo posted by @snd_rios on



Vine

Vine is a video sharing app. Users can share a six second video clip that loops over and over. All you need is a compatible smartphone to download the Vine app, which is owned by Twitter. I had never created a Vine until now, and I have to say it was pretty easy. When you are ready to make your first Vine, the app will walk you through all the steps. The app tells you to hold your finger down on the screen for about 1-2 seconds, and then you do this two more times. Vine will then put the three, two second videos together. It’s that simple.

I like the idea of using Vine in the library to highlight upcoming events, show snippets of books coming in to the next Book Fair, create mini book trailers, highlight new books, or even those that haven’t been circulated as often. Teachers can use it to show the scientific process, math algorithms, and highlight vocabulary in all content areas. I like the fact that it's quick and to the point. Students can use it to create teasers to books they've read. I can see it a great resource for academic vocabulary because of the constant "looping." 

My students are working on their Science Fair projects this week. They enjoyed the Vine on the Scientific Method.


8 comments:

  1. Great Instagram photos! I am sure your kids were excited to have you join. My kids are too young to know what most of this is, but it sure could be helpful if they could teach me some tricks. By the way, great bulletin board!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Misty! Yes so was the rest of my family.
    Good ole Charlie Brown and gang! They are my favorite characters!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your series challenge looks awesome! I would love to know more about that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cool to see you can explain the scientific method in six seconds! The Instagrams were really nice, too. Best of luck with all your projects!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great blog! I really liked your ideas on how to incorporate Instagram and Vine to the school library! You gave me some ideas that I hadn't thought of.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your idea to create an account for the library through Instagram. I feel this would be an excellent way to promote all the awesome things happening there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea to use vine for scientific method.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the idea to use Vines for vocabulary due to the looping feature. I was annoyed by the feature at first, but you've made me think about how to use it to my advantage.

    ReplyDelete