Friday, October 16, 2015

Podcasts



“Podcasting” comes from combining the words “broadcasting” and “iPod. You have the ability to listen to a podcast like a radio, but it differs because you can subscribe to the podcast just like a blog. RSS (Really Simple Syndication) is the distribution method for podcasts, and can be transferred to any portable player to listen to at your convenience. Some of the podcasting platforms I explored through were:  Soundcloud, Audioboo, Podomatic, and Audacity. Although, I navigated through the other platforms, I was most familiar with Soundcloud because I had used it for one of my MLS courses. 

Our district currently uses podcast to broadcast board meeting minutes on their webpage, and at the campus level, it is used to relay messages to parents and teachers about upcoming events. I had not considered the possibility of using podcast in the classroom, but after reading and viewing many examples I see what a useful tool it can be. 

These are some of the ways podcasting can be incorporated in a classroom: event reminders for parents, school assignments, newsletters, to record student projects, reports, reading summaries, and math strategies. In addition, the library can use it to promote upcoming events, newsletters, book talks and reviews, storytelling, research, interviews, highlighting students work, and informational seminars.

I can see the many ways I can implement this in my class and in the future with my library. I love highlighting and showing off student work. For my podcast, I decided to have my students share a few "Thank You" poems they wrote to honor and thank our Veterans. They will be reading these at our upcoming Veteran's Day assembly. They did an excellent job and were very excited to share! 

Due to limited internet connection at my campus, I could not open my Soundcloud account from my laptop, and therefore I had to record my students on my sound recorder first. Then, at home I let the recording play so that Souncloud could pick up the recording. I also viewed a tutorial on how to embed the Soundcloud to my blog.

Sit back and enjoy!

Works Cited:

http://www.entrepreneurs-journey.com/230/what-is-podcast/
http://podcasting-in-education.wikispaces.com/#x-Finding%20Podcasts

Image retrieved from:
https://www.google.com/search?q=veterans+day+2015

8 comments:

  1. Great Podcast! I love to hear things the kids have done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lisa, they really enjoy themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great way to keep these works-- if students have portfolios or parents are interested in these, what a great way to include them! The length here is good, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have some amazing kids! I really enjoyed your podcast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome idea! I hope you don't mind if I steal your idea ;-). Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not at all Rebecca! We are here to learn from each other :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I liked the idea about podcasting meetings and things and putting it on the district website. I wonder why our district hasn't done anything like that.

    ReplyDelete